Whether you’re spending your whole stay in this region or just passing through before venturing off, Thailand’s centre has plenty to disover. Culinary gems, intruiging galleries and unique workshops – there’s so much to see here. Hit the streets of Bangkok and its surrounding area to treat your inner creative…
Chaorenkrung Road, Bangkok
Reinvented as the new ‘Creative District’ earlier this year, this up-and-coming stretch of historic Chaorenkrung Road – a 150-year- old thoroughfare that was the Thai capital’s first paved road, and which closely follows the famed Chao Phraya riverfront – has been given a new injection of life in the past 12 months, with loads of new cafes, galleries and restaurants taking centre stage, while all sitting comfortably with the locals who have lived here for generations.
The brainchild of leading Thai architect Duangrit Bunnag (a descendant of Persian traders who once served as advisors to the royal family), this multipurpose venue is a series of renovated warehouses that were built during World War II. It certainly offers something for everybody, including a chic hostel, fashion store, cocktail bar, cafe, flower shop, French bakery and organic market, as well as hosting regular events.
Related Article: Where The Cool Kids Eat & Drink On Koh Samui
There are no hotter tables to book in the city of Bangkok right now than this remarkable restaurant, where the young trio of chefs Napol Jantraget, Andrew Martin and Saki Hoshino, turn 80% locally-grown and organically- produced ingredients (the other 20% is imported) into remarkable Thai fusion taste sensations. If you’re looking for somewhere to sleep off the meal, there’s a trendy hostel just upstairs.
Bangkok CityCity Gallery is known for its diverse and engaging programming, which includes exhibitions featuring street art, social advocacy themes, and art book festivals. The gallery is committed to showcasing the work of renowned artists and fostering meaningful conversations and research. It goes beyond being just an exhibition space, actively seeking to introduce new concepts, perspectives, and social imaginaries through collaborations. The gallery also supports and empowers young artists, encouraging them to explore and develop their artistic abilities in the long run. Additionally, Bangkok CityCity Gallery celebrates and collaborates with artists who utilise traditional printing methods in their practices.
Related article: Thailand insider guide: Chiang Mai’s trendy art scene
Taking up all five floors of what used to be the headquarters of a Thai-Chinese merchant company, this hipster haven has three distinct occupants. The ground floor is the 1960s Hong Kong-styled bistro FoudieJoie, upstairs is speakeasy-styled Amer, with the top floor (and roof) home to SpareParts Smokehouse, an incredible outdoor Texas barbecue that you’re able to smell halfway to Chinatown.
Or looking for a hotel or resort for your dream couple’s holiday or honeymoon? Find the perfect place to stay in Thailand here.