The chilly months are officially upon us and for some regions in Australia, this means a blanket of silky snow covers usually sultry landscapes. Here are our top things to do and ten packages to ensure you make the most of the Victorian snow scene and discover the endless opportunities for romance in Australia’s winter wonderland.
Snow ball fights, husky sled dog tours, scenic chairlift rides, skiing and snowboarding – these are the images conjured when we think of a getaway to the snow. But in Victoria’s snow scene, there are also plenty of opportunities to relax with a spa treatment, bathe in hot springs, go for a romantic sojourn through quaint villages and enjoy culinary delights.
With easy access from Melbourne and regional hubs, the snow is not as far away as you think. Victoria’s alpine resorts include Mt Buller, Mt Stirling, Mt Hotham, Falls Creek, Lake Mountain, Mt Baw Baw and Dinner Plain, and each resort offers a unique snowsperience. Here’s our must see and do guide to the Victorian snow scene.
Soak up the scenery
The Victorian alpine regions are unlike any in the world: flora-covered mountain peaks, rugged rocky terrain and peaceful lakes encapsulate this stunning landscape. Explore your resort and be sure to take advantage of the activities that are on offer if you’re keen for adventure. Don’t forget to take part in the quintessential snow experience: the chairlift ride – a cliché for a reason!
Wine and dine amongst the clouds
For a drink with a view couples will love a stop at Zirkys at Mt Hotham, a boutique hotel with panoramic mountain vistas. At Mount Buller, ski in and ski out of contemporary bar and restaurant Snow Pony for a quick and cosy cuppa in stylish surroundings, or opt for a long and relaxing lunch before continuing your snowy adventures.
Warm up with a trip to the heavenly steaming onsen at Dinner Plain, or with a few laps in the indoor heated pool. Most resorts have on-site spas, so the opportunity for an after-slope massage is aplenty also.
Ski at twilight
What could be more romantic than a couples’ ski under the lilac sky and stars? At Mount Buller couples can ski or board down the slopes between 5:30 and 8:30 in the evenings on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
Café hop along the way
Whichever direction you’re coming from there’s plenty to see along the outskirts of these regions. Victoria is a gourmand’s paradise so look out for quaint cafes, award-winning wineries and gourmet produce stalls when you’re on the road.
Related article: Regional Victoria: Foodie Heaven
- Hotham Snow Bliss from $286.80 per day – five nights mid-week say at Moritz one bedroom four share apartment, plus five days lift, equipment rental and lessons, group for adult and full day for kids.
- Hotham Snow Love from $251 per day – three nights in a very romantic White Crystal Studio apartment, plus three days lift, equipment rental and adult group lessons.
- Falls Creek Snow Buddies from $286 per day – four nights midweek stay at the Ripparoo Lodge with breakfast and three course dinner, four days lift, equipment rental, group lessons, plus parka & pants hire.
- Falls Creek Mates Snowaway from $182.50 per day – four nights midweek stay at the Silverski, four days lift, equipment rental, group lessons, plus parka & pants hire.
- Buller Stay and Play 1 Night from $118.50 per day – Experience the wonder of waking up on top of the world at Mt Buller, overnight midweek accommodation, two days toboggan, jacket, pants & walking boots hire.
- Buller Snow Play in a Day from $151 per day – includes one day jacket, pants & walking boots hire, plus Snowplay in a day tour (includes scenic chairlift ride, guided snowshoe tour, toboggan hire and guided Village history tour).
- Mt Baw Baw Family Discover – from $462.50 per day (family) – two nights accommodation at Frostie Lodge, three day gate entry, family meal at the Village Restaurant, toboggan hire, ski hire – from $925 for two adults & two kids.
- Lake Mountain Learn 2 Ski – from $99.50 per person – Perfect couples of friends package with resort entry for passenger vehicle, ski hire and lesson, couples lunch voucher – $199 for two adults.
- Lake Mountain Family Play from $37.25 per person – Resort entry for passenger vehicle, toboggan hire, family lunch voucher & 10% discount on any garment from Lake Mountain Retail – $149 for two adults & two kids (extra child $28).
- Dinner Plain Family Spring – from $360 per person – four night stay in self contained four share property in Dinner Plain (two adults two kids) and three day hire –skis/boots/poles or board/boots, four helmets and kids toboggan rental free.
Related article: Retreat to Romance: Boutique Short Breaks in Australia