We love Europe as a destination for honeymoons and romantic getaways, so we want to let you in on this fab hotel – the Hollman-Beletage in Vienna. This city centre pad is the perfect example of what Europe does brilliantly – the intimate, cosy, romantic hotel with genuinely friendly and personal service, good food, and a few eccentricities thrown in.
The chief eccentricity is the website, which includes photos of half-naked guests hiding in wardrobes and behind shower curtains. It might be a gimmick but it cleverly lets you see how the rooms work. And the rooms do work; they're not just ergonomically good but they're stylish too. The ceilings are high, the spaces are airy, the bathtubs are placed in large alcoves, the beds are centre-stage and there's ample room for day-time relaxing on the furniture. It's a romantic escape which we absolutely adore.
If you really want to turn on the romance, book the hotel's 95m2 Spa-Suite, which comes complete with four-poster bed, chandelier, fireplace and its very own Turkish hammam. Unwind in luxury with your sweetheart, and lose yourself completely on your romantic holiday or honeymoon.
Breakfast is a hotel highlight with delicious soups, eggs and other delights cooked to order by chef Robert Hollmann and his team. There is not a hint of anything as impersonal as a buffet! Save room for the crepes and the homemade jams.
A cute addition is the delicatessen space (just downstairs from reception and next to the mini-cinema), which serves yummy strudels, cakes, quiches and other light snacks from 2pm onwards. There are bottles of local sparkling wine and a range of speciality teas too, all free.
• Some rooms have bathtubs, which (as they are big enough for two) offer a romantic way to relax after a day pounding the streets.
• Some rooms on lower floors are a little dark so if light's important to you, aim high.
• Try to avoid school holidays but if you can't at least be aware that the rooms closest to reception can get noisy.
• There's a city full of cafes out there but make time for breakfast at the hotel – it's delicious, friendly and very relaxed.
• Try to get 'home' a bit earlier in the afternoon and treat yourselves to a glass of wine and some seasonal snacks at the in-hotel deli.
Phone: +43 1 96 11 960